๐
Qistina Nuralya Maria Binti Azly / 0354180
Information Design / Bachelors of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
PROJECT 1: RECIPE INFOGRAPHICS POSTER
Table of contents
1. MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)
Week 5 - Week 6 - Week 7 - Week 8
1. MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)
This is the Module Information Booklet for this module:
2. LECTURES & ACTIVITIES
Week 5
This week we started to work on our Project 1. But before that, we had a bit of practice with kinetic typography to warm us up for our next Project which was Kinetic Typography (Group). We did a motion graphic of a lyric from the song "So What" by P!nk.
We played around with a simple Null Object that all the text was attached to.
After finishing the practice, we were given some time to research for our Project 1, mainly researching our recipe and trying to condense the steps into more translatable into a poster.
Week 6
We continued working on the kinetic typography practice but this week we focused on experimenting with 3D movement.
This new file was based off of the last week's typography so the font choices were the same. We all were
We also got into our groups for our Project 2 and started to brainstorm things. Whilst doing that, we had a short feedback session about our Project 1.
Feedback:
- The recipe steps are still a bit too long, so try to condense it more.
- The sketch is good and can easily see the reference.
- For moodboard, you don't need illustrations per se, but just grab any pictures that vibe of the poster you want to give.
Week 7
This week was mostly about Project 2 progress within the group but like last week, we had a short feedback session for Project 1.
Feedback:
- The moodboard is nice and colour pallete is good.
Week 8
Similar to last week, we gave focus to Project 2 since we'd started to progress on it more. I got my final feedback for the poster.
Feedback:
- The composition and illustrations of the poster are great and interesting.
- The ingredients section is fine, no need to change it.
- Some steps you can condense even further so that it doesn't appear jumbled in the poster.
- 'And' and just be '&' to shorten the steps.
3. PROGRESSION
3.1 Proposal
Originally, I wanted to make my poster be of a lasagna recipe, but after giving it more thought, I decided to go for a Fisherman's Pie recipe instead. Fisherman's Pie originated in the United Kingdom and Ireland. It started as a practical way to use up leftover or scrap fish by fishermen. The mashed potato topping was added later, mirroring the style of shepherd's and cottage pies.
I chose Fisherman's Pie mainly because I had an attachment to it since my mom would occasionally make it when guests were around or for events. But her recipe is mostly just 'eye-balling ingredients so I had to try and find a properly written Fisherman's Pie recipe. Unfortunately, Pasta Grannies didn't have any Fish Pie recipes of any sorts so I scoured for the recipe on cooking websites instead.
To which I came across a website called Cooking with Curls and they had just the recipe I needed! The recipe was done by a lady named Lisa.
So, from there I extracted the steps of the recipe and tried to condense it as best I could. Afterwards, I went to search up some references for my poster and came across two particular ones that I'd really liked. I mainly liked them because of that sort of line of action they have in regards to either the steps or the ingredients.
From there, I started sketching a composition of the poster in Procreate, mainly taking inspiration with the Tomyum poster by making the sections of the recipe into different illustrations: Prep, Fish Filling, Roux and Assembly. I also followed the concept of the steam coming from the food that acts as the line of action to the whole poster.
Fig 3.1.4 Poster Sketch.
For the overall moodboard though, I had a plan for the theme to be sort of coastal but I didn't really have an idea of how to make the moodboard so I went to ask feedback from Mr. Martin.
Feedback:
- The recipe steps are still a bit too long, so try to condense it more.
- The sketch is good and can easily see the reference.
- For moodboard, you don't need illustrations per se, but just grab any pictures that vibe of the poster you want to give.
I then condensed the steps more based on the feedback so that it'd be easier for me to work with when implementing them into the poster.
I also figured out the whole moodboard thing and now I have a clearer direction of the feel I want to convey with the poster (˶หแห˵)
Finally, I settled the typography I wanted to use for the poster and they were Silver Stone Regular for the headings (highlighted in the red box in Fig 3.1.7) and Sukar for the body text.
3.2 Drawing Illustrations
To draw out the main illustrations, I used Procreate since I was more comfortable with it than the illustrator and I also wanted to make it visibly more detailed than the other icons/graphics I'd plan to use in the poster. For the main center piece, a.k.a. the Fisherman's Pie, I made it with warmer colours to really pop out from the planned blue background of the poster.
Then, for the other assets, I follows a similar style of the pie but simplified them slightly so that they wouldn't take too much attention off of the center-piece. I made 3 other illustrations that were meant to represent the Prep (Pot), Fish Filling (Dish) and Roux (Pan); and Assembly would be represented by the pie.
3.3 Creating the Poster
Now going into the poster making, I went into Illustrator and added in all the references and sketches into the file for ease of referencing. In Fig 3.3.1 though, you can see how I initially wanted to draw out the illustrations in Illustrator but it didn't feel too fun so I switched to Procreate as seen in 3.2.
Playing around with the composition, I kept close to the sketch. The space next to the title would be reserved for the ingredients but I'm a bit doubtful if they'd all fit in since there are quite a lot of the ingredients.
But before settling that, I realised I'd actually misread the recipe and drew chunks of fish instead of fillets so I went back to draw it in Procreate as fillets.
After that, I went to Flaticon.com to search for the best icons for the ingredients that I could use for the section next to the title. I also searched for some icons that could be used for some of the steps.
Fig 3.3.4 Collecting all the ingredient assets.
My fear f0r the arrangement of the ingredients became slightly true when the initial placement of them couldn't fit in with the section of what I'd planned.
Fig 3.3.5 Initial arrangement of the ingredients.
However, I remembered the L.A.T.C.H. exercise and realised I could just separate them into two different components of the pie; the main (fish filling and roux) and the mashed potatoes.
Fig 3.3.6 Rearranging of the ingredients.
Then I started to lay out the steps one by one with some visuals to help give guidance to the actions.
Fig 3.3.7 Laying out the steps.
At some point, I realised the steps were quite long and couldn't fit the actual set space I'd lay for them so I decided to translate them into illustrations to save space.
Fig 3.3.7 Changing steps into graphics.
I also decided to take from the Tteokbokki poster and decided to display the nutrition factor of the dish and the amount of time it takes for the whole preparation and cooking of the recipe.
From the first draft though, I did feel like things were a bit cramped in the poster so I decided to get some feedback from Mr. Martin.
Feedback:
- The composition and illustrations of the poster are great and interesting.
- The ingredients section is fine, no need to change it.
- Some steps you can condense even further so that it doesn't appear jumbled in the poster.
- You can make the "sub-steps" be smaller to give more Hierarchy to the main steps.
- 'And' and just be '&' to shorten the steps.
The final changes were based on the feedback and I also did more changing of some the steps' graphics to give more space for the poster to breathe.
4. FINAL
4.1 Proposal
File 4.1.1 Final Proposal of Project 1 [PDF].
Google Drive View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/178V67cAbGYvYCq4KTNsAhtQ6YSAoDZAi/view?usp=sharing
4.2 Recipe Infographics Poster
File 4.2.1 Final Recipe Infographics Poster [PDF].
Google Drive View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1scEfdhKMzzdXTS442gT7qCjSp0X_CXHD/view?usp=sharing
~~~
For the full project files of the project, you can view in the link below.
Google Drive Folder Link: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1R0AWO7s2HLuLKiYqai8_39YkEjgGyShy?usp=drive_link
5. REFLECTION
I really enjoyed the process of making the poster for this project! The initial planning proposal for the recipe felt the slightest bit sluggish at first but once I got into sketching up the poster, everything after felt like a breeze. Mainly it was because I really liked the coastal vibe I went with for the moodboard so it felt nice to revolve the poster around that kind of feeling whilst also keeping to the cartoony-esque style of the illustrations.
However, it did feel a bit repetitive when I had to create the graphics for the steps because I didn't really plan it out too well so it's on me but because of that I had to make some graphics as I went through the steps. But it wasn't too bad per se I just noticeably got a bit tired when it came to the graphics of the steps (แต—แด—)
Overall, I'm really happy with the outcome of this Project (´∇`) ! I feel slightly nervous for the motion graphic based on this poster but I hope it'll be a smooth ride.
๐




















Comments
Post a Comment