Design Research Dissertation - Assignment 4: Research for Journal Article Publication

   🐚

Qistina Nuralya Maria Binti Azly / 0354180

Design Research Dissertation / Bachelors of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University

Assignment 4: Research for Journal Article Publication


Table of contents 

1.  MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)

2.  WEEKS

Week 13 - Week 14 - Week 15

3.  PROGRESSION

3.1 First Draft

3.2 Second Draft

3.3 Third Draft

3.4 Final Refinements

4.  FINAL

5.  REFLECTION


1. MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)

This is the Module Information Booklet for this module:


File 1.1 Module Information Booklet (PDF)

2. WEEKS

Week 13

Received feedback on the my draft dissertation and started to revise it. Started working on the Journal Article.

Week 14

Continued working on Journal Article.

Week 15

Continued working on Journal Article.


3. PROGRESSION

3.1 First Draft

From the start of my Research Methodology, I actually really wanted to study Stylised Visuals as a topic but couldn't really put it into words so I generalised it as studying textures in 3D animation. So, when it came to this assignment I found it to be an opportune time for me to go more in-depth with stylised textures using the two animated films that was under my research -- Puss in Boots: The Last Wish and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

So from there I came up with a title: "A Comparative Exploration of Stylised Textures and Perception of Visual Quality in Two 3D Animated Films"; which I felt managed to answer my research objective and question quite well.

File 3.1.1 First Draft of Journal Article (PDF)

The first draft actually had me rambling a bit too much on some parts but I kept it as it was so that a second draft could be done later and my ideas would be kept in tact. The main thing was that I definitely went overboard in the Findings and Discussion section as I 

3.2 Second Draft

-

File 3.2.1 Second Draft of Journal Article (PDF)

-

3.3 Third Draft

-

File 3.3.1 Third Draft of Journal Article (PDF)

-

3.4 Final Refinements

-


4. FINAL

File 4.1 Research for Journal Article Publication (Final) [PDF].

Link to Google Drive View: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17MZYarrhS74eJdeZtHrg1JV1LAbdKr7N/view?usp=sharing


5. REFLECTION

With this being the final assignment, I was surprised with how fun I had with writing for this. It's probably in part due to the fact that I got to pin point the most "fun" part of my overall research dissertation (that being talking about uniquely stylised visuals) and also I got to talk about two of my favourite 3D animated films! And also it was in a more condensed form of writing so I didn't feel like whatever I was writing was just a yapping session to get to a certain length of a section or a certain number of words. I think, in general, I just prefer Journal Article form of writing over the very academic style (which is still present here of course) of Dissertation or lengthy research. 

In terms of my performance throughout the module, I do think I could have done way better in my progression updates and how I communicated with Dr. Hayati. It very much is unfortunate that I happened to go through the same exact thing that I happened in Methodology where my anxiety was through the roof that I couldn't function properly and that led to a poorer performance on my end. I tried my hardest to finish up what I could, even with late submissions. I'm just happy that I managed to dig myself out for a bit and actually use my writing skills for the better here and the previous assignment instead of relying on AI.

I've definitely learnt from my mistakes in this module and hope to apply it when I do any sort of academic writing in the future.

   🐚

Comments