Motion Graphics and Compositing - Final Project: 30-second Motion Graphics Intro

 🐚

Qistina Nuralya Maria Binti Azly / 0354180

Motion Graphics and Compositing / Bachelors of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University

FINAL PROJECT: 30-SECOND MOTION GRAPHICS INTRO


Table of contents

1.  MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)

2.  LECTURES & ACTIVITIES

Week 11 - Week 12 - Week 13 - Week 14

3.  PROGRESSION

3.1 Proposal

3.2 Storyboard

3.3 After Effects

3.4 Premiere Pro

4.  FINAL

5.  REFLECTION


1. MODULE INFORMATION BOOKLET (MIB)

This is the Module Information Booklet for this module:

File 1.1 Module Information Booklet (PDF)

2. LECTURES & ACTIVITIES

Week 11

This week focused on us working on our final project. I showed Mr. Martin my first draft of the storyboard.

Feedback:

  • The effort of design is there
  • But there isn't really any motion in the storyboard.
  • Try add in simple 3d motion.
  • No need to go crazy on the motion
  • Get work done in AE to see how it looks by next week.

Week 12

This week I was slightly overwhelmed with my modules and tests coming up so I decided to take a break from class to try and catch up with everything.

Week 13

Unfortunately, I'd gotten really sick from a viral fever so the doctors gave me an MC to spend the day to rest at home. I still worked on my part of the project as best I could with the little energy I had (* ´ ﹃`*). This week we mostly focused on a draft of our motion graphics to show each other for feedback.

Week 14

I wasn't feeling all too motivated this week because of deadlines catching up so I slacked quite a bit but tried to at least make changes with my final project to present progress with.

Feedback:

  • Play around with Y rotation.
  • Be confident with your original idea!
  • Execute it first then tweak
  • Keep things simple, don't worry too much about complexity

3. PROGRESSION

3.1 Proposal

For the final project I'd already had an idea/movie in mind to make an intro for. But before that, I'd try to consider some other ideas for the project too. In mind, I had three different media choices:

Project Hail Mary - Movie

Fig 3.1.1 Project Hail Mary (2026)

Mob Psycho 100 - Animated Series

Fig 3.1.2 Mob Psycho 100 (2016-2022)

The Nice Guys - Movie

Fig 3.1.3 The Nice Guys (2016)

I created short proposals of sorts for each of the ideas' concepts in Canva. Said proposals can be read below.

File 3.1.1 Final Project Initial Ideas [PDF]

From there, I'd finalise on working on the Project Hail Mary idea because it was and still is sort a hyperfixation of mine and I almost couldn't go a day without consuming media of the movie ; whether it be posts or drawings. So, I developed the idea further into a more sound and detailed proposal that focused on my art direction of the video which was to make it a sort of retro-futuristic kind of vibe with the graphics.

Fig 3.1.4 Aesthetic Reference (Analog Futurism)

Below is the final version of the proposal for my final project:

File 3.1.2 Final Project Proposal [PDF]

Google Drive View Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTX2Isu8LVXZadnvm_OOD3RsXdgKmZjY/view?usp=sharing

back to top

3.2 Storyboard

For my first draft of the storyboard, I'd initially wanted to include every idea I had from the proposal. So I went in and tried to gauge the timing of everything whilst still maintaining an interesting storyline of sorts. I created the storyboard in Canva as it'd be very text heavy.

File 3.2.1 First Draft of Storyboard [PDF].

But I realised that I was getting a bit too ahead of myself with the things I wanted to include and how much would actually fit into the 30 second limit of the project. So, I went and condensed it the best I could and included the main parts I wanted to whilst editing in better transitions between scenes.

File 3.2.2 Final Storyboard [PDF].

Since I'd be dealing with a voice for the video, I'd decided to take directly from the Intro scene of Project Hail Mary and take Mary's (The AI) voice and transfer it into my project.

Fig 3.2.1 Taking audio and screenshots from video.

However, I did need to edit the voice the best I could to make use it was isolated and wasn't interrupted by noise. To do that, I opened up Audition and freshened up my audio editing skills from Sonic Design. I mostly used the remove noise functions and vocal enhancer to make the voice clearer. There were still parts where it was muffled which is a shame but I tried to make it as clear as possible.

Fig 3.2.2 Audio editing in Audition.

3.3 After Effects

To start off editing, I first made a frame for the entire comp to sit in. The frame became a guide for me so that I didn't accidentally overflow out of the safe borders of the composition. As for the numbers, I made a reference to the actual number of days that Ryland Grace (protagonist of Project Hail Mary) was in the induced coma which was 1,461 days or about 4 years.

Fig 3.3.1 Creating the screen overlay

For the first scene, I did a short animation where it was just the text static on screen whilst the loading bar fills up.

Feedback:

  • Play around with Y rotation.
  • Be confident with your original idea!
  • Execute it first then tweak
  • Keep things simple, don't worry too much about complexity
Fig 3.3.2 Loading Bar composition.

Before applying the movement, I wanted to test out getting a CRT effect on the video using adjustment layers. This was achieved from me looking up tutorials on YouTube and applying a mixed method of their processes. I was quite happy with the look of the effect but I put it aside for now because I wanted to focus of the motion graphic first.

Fig 3.3.3 Playing with adjustment layers to get CRT effect.

Now, I made the text and loading bar be parented to a null object to which I made all be 3D and played with the Y-rotation as advised by Mr. Martin. 

Additionally, I looked up referenced for expressions for the text that could achieve the 'digital typing' movement and applied them to the text:

L = text.sourceText.length;

T = time*effect("Speed")("Slider");

F = Math.round(T % 8);

if(F==1 |(T <L & T>0)){Fl="_";}else{Fl=" ";}

substr(0,T) + Fl;

Fig 3.3.4 Rotating text around y-axis.

I wanted to add a bit of interest to the scene so instead of a simple fade out, I created a radar-like moving graphic that popped out when the loading bar shrank. I got this effect by playing with the Repeater function on a simple circle graphic.

On its own, it felt really flat so I made a camera to give more depth to the composition and made me able to move around the elements in an interesting way.

Fig 3.3.5 Creating Radar-like effect.
Fig 3.3.6 Adding camera for depth.

Afterwards, I animated up a simple title card like in the storyboard. For the transition from the 'In Progress...' scene to the next, I added a dashed line that matched the size and spacing of the ellipsis and used trim path to animated it extruding it.

Fig 3.3.7 Creating dotted lines for transition.
Fig 3.3.8 Playing with graph editor to adjust movement.

When animating this part, I felt like there was something empty with the transition, So I added some windows I'd created in Illustrator and brought into AE and adjusted the colours. These window would be along the dashed line during the transition/slide into the next scene.

I also placed the screenshots I had taken previously from the Intro scene of the film into the windows and masked wherever they overflowed outside of them. Because the screenshots themselves are in colour, I had to create a special preset where I adjusted the colours of the pictures and I named the preset "Greenify".

Fig 3.3.9 Adding in windows through transition.
Fig 3.3.10 Placing pictures in the windows.

The next scene had the question "What is 2+2?" lay on top of the dashed line.

Fig 3.3.11 Extending line through the composition.

To add the audio of Grace's "blurb" after the question, I added an Audio Spectrum animation that based around the original audio and I made it shaped as a circle to center within the composition.

Fig 3.3.12 Experimenting with Audio Spectrum effect.

I wanted to have some dramatic colours in the video so I made an adjustment layer to only change the colour of the scene when it was on the "INCORRECT" part of the scene.

Fig 3.3.13 Using Adjustment Layer to change colour of entire comp.

Afterwards I placed more screenshots and windows into the composition during the Glitch scene after the "Please remember <MUSCLE FUNCTION> has not been restored" text scene.

Fig 3.3.14 Added transition from INCORRECT to the next scene.
Fig 3.3.15 Placing glitch windows in separate composition for timing.

To give more dynamic movement, I made each window pop out as if it was some kind of virus on the computer screen.

Fig 3.3.16 Applied a pop out animation for the glitch windows.

After the glitch, I added the movie title card at the very end as the windows go away.

Fig 3.3.17 Brought in the movie's logo and changed colour to match video.

Finally, I made some changes to the text before the end glitch and it was changed from "Please remember <MUSCLE FUNCTION> has not been restored" to "You may experience some <MEMORY LOSS>".

Fig 3.3.18 Changed text for this scene.

The effects I added after everything were mainly just the glitches during the parts where the windows appear and what not.

back to top

3.4 Premiere Pro

Onto the sound editing part, I'd decided to use the music of Project Hail Mary's soundtrack; specifically the track named "Ryland Grace Cognition Assessment".

Link to music track: https://share.google/ZPC4X4EFjllyzluMM

As for the sound effects, I planned on using Freesound.org but I couldn't get access to it for some reason despite multiple tries. I resorted to Pixabay.com instead since it also had a good resource of sound effects. The total list I need for sound effects were:

  • Whoosh
  • Computer Start-up
  • Click
  • Computer Hum
  • Computer Scan/Processing
  • Glitch

Fig 3.4.2 Searching for sound effects on Pixabay.

Finally, I added all the collected sound effects into Premiere Pro since it wouldn't lag as it would in AE. I adjusted the volumes of each sound effects so that it wouldn't be too many sounds at once.

Fig 3.4.2 Editing in all the sound effects and music.

Video 3.4.1 Final Project.

YouTube Link: https://youtu.be/-HUldXyL6w4


4. FINAL

4.1 Proposal

File 4.1.1 Final Project Proposal [PDF]

Google Drive View Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pTX2Isu8LVXZadnvm_OOD3RsXdgKmZjY/view?usp=sharing

4.2 30-second Motion Graphics Intro

Video 4.2.1 Final Project.

YouTube Linkhttps://youtu.be/-HUldXyL6w4

~~~

For the full project files of the project, you can view in the link below.

Google Drive Folder Linkhttps://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1vqrseW6svDpVeliWp1x63bzH65zaJiQp?usp=drive_link


5. REFLECTION

This project being the final one showed to be a very interesting and entertaining one to create. I was quite excited actually when we were briefed for this project because at the time I was very hyper fixated on Project Hail Mary and I thought it would be very fun for me to dedicate the final project to the film. In a way I feel very satisfied with what I'd come up with in the end especially being able to almost emulate that CRT feeling of the screen that matched the screens seen in the film itself.

However, I do know there were shortcomings for my outcome since I feel that content-wise it was a bit too simple for my taste and it was mainly because of the 30 second limit that I felt I had to condense and remove what I'd originally thought to add. But seeing it in a positive light, I think this just leaves me more room to experiment on my own to create a longer motion graphics video for the film based on what I's experienced in this project!

Overall, this project and the module as a whole was very helpful in my understanding of how to create a better workflow for my AE projects and also new skills like combining Blender with AE to create interesting outcomes. I wish to also thank Mr. Martin for being supportive throughout the semester despite my own faults showing through in assignment progression (╥ ω ╥)

back to top

🐚

Comments